The story of Santa Cruz Bible Church is a story about God’s provision and faithfulness. For over 130 years the church has withstood relocations, name changes, earthquakes and transitions, and by God’s grace continues to pursue making disciples of Jesus in Santa Cruz County.
The First Christian Church of Santa Cruz was organized by R.N. Davis, then minister of Watsonville Christian Chapel. There were twelve charter members and they held meetings in the YMCA hall on Pacific Avenue and the Rittenhouse buildings.
After being officially incorporated in 1896 by the State of California, First Christian Church of Santa Cruz dedicated their first building at the intersection of Lincoln and Center Streets in downtown Santa Cruz, with eighty-six members.
In August of 1957, after a ten-year fund raising effort, the church was able to purchase land at Broadway and Frederick Streets and relocate to our present site. The newly built Worship Center was dedicated that year with a fresh new vision for our city.
First Christian Church of Santa Cruz celebrates 75 years of God’s faithfulness.
The church decided to leave behind the name First Christian Church and took on the name Santa Cruz Bible Church.
As Santa Cruz Bible continued to grow, the main sanctuary building was no longer large enough to hold all of the classes and ministries, so portable buildings were erected across the 3.5 acre property.
Chip Ingram came onto staff at Santa Cruz Bible and shortly thereafter launched Living on the Edge radio ministry.
After a 3-year capital campaign, a new Worship Center was constructed on the property, with seating for over 1,000 people; a considerable size difference from the original sanctuary which could seat fewer than 200.
Construction of a new Children’s Center and an Adult Center was completed on the property.
Santa Cruz Bible Church sent Dan Kimball and the Graceland ministry to plant Vintage Faith Church on the west side of Santa Cruz.
Santa Cruz Bible Church celebrates 130 years of God’s faithfulness, as we look forward to what He will continue to do in this town through His people.